Basic Cupcake Recipe with Icing
These classic cupcakes with icing are so easy to make with this cupcake recipe.
Basic cupcake recipe with icing
Recipe type: Dessert - cupcake
These easy basic cupcakes with icing are so simple to make
- 150 grams – 5,25 ounces butter at room temperature - softened
- 150 grams – 5,25 ounces granulated sugar
- 150 grams – 5,25 ounces sifted self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon sifted baking powder
- 4 small or 3 large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
- A pinch of salt
- 450 grams – 8.50 ounces – 2¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F – 170 °C.
- Line the cupcake baking pans with paper baking cups.
- Add the butter in a bowl and mix the mass at medium speed.
- Add the sugar gradually to the mass while mixing.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- Add the sifted flour gradually. Stir till all traces of flour are gone.
- Add the baking powder.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Mix the batter to a light airy mass. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking cups until they are half full.
- Bake at 325 °F – 170 °C degrees for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Set aside on a cooling rack to cool.
- Put the egg whites with lemon juice in a large clean, grease-free bowl.
- Add a bit of icing sugar.
- Mix at medium speed.
- Gradually add the icing sugar (2 tablespoons at a time) until small stiff peaks occurs.
- Put the mixture in the fridge. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a wet cloth to prevent drying.
- Before coloring, divide the icing into several bowls. Add food coloring to the icing.
- The icing gets thinner as you add water. Stir until the icing is fluid and smooth.
- Use thin icing for covering smooth larger areas, such as on top of a cupcake.
Use always the finest and fresh ingredients. Measure all ingredients in advance and put them in separate bowls ready for use. Ensure your cupcake baking pan is clean. All ingredients must be at on room temperature. Don’t stir too long. Let the cupcakes cool down on a cooling rack. You can use margarine in place of butter.
Back to Overview Cupcake Recipes